Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Pork Chops with Cinnamon Apples

Nothing says fall like the smell of apples, cinnamon, and squash bubbling away in the kitchen.  Ok, and maybe the smell of pumpkin pie. And concord grapes... but that is beside the point.

Yes, I do realize that this post has nothing to do with squash. Hush. 

I had started a crock-pot full of butternut squash soup (recipe coming soon to a blog near you) before church, but it was not quite ready when I got back. This was some sort of cruel torture for me, the scent of fall wafting down the hall in my apartment and the thought of having to wait to eat it was unacceptable. So I did what most foodies would do. I made more food. Duh. 

This is a super simple meal. Short ingredient list. Quick to make. And tastes delicious. 





Fall Pork Chops with Cinnamon Apples

2 pork chops (I had bone in ones, use whatever you can get on sale)
2 apples (pealed and cut into 1/8in thick slices, ish)
salt and pepper
butter
cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
chicken broth/apple cider/hard cider

Season the pork chops generously with the salt, pepper, and sprinkle a bit of whatever fall spices you fancy. Cook 'em up in a frying pan with butter. Make sure the internal temperature gets up to 140 degrees F (no GI diseases for our readers!).
While those are cooking away, throw the apples into another frying pan with some butter. Season generously with the same fall spices as you used for the pork chops. Once they start cooking down, add a few swigs of liquid, and let reduce down to make a great sauce.
I served these with some green beans (yup, those were out of a freezer bag.)
Dig in!



No comments:

Post a Comment