Sunday, November 6, 2011

Grain-Free (Paleo-ish) Pumpkin Cupcakes 2-ways

In KWeage world, Fall = Pumpkin. Hence this post.

Going Paleo has thrown a monkey wrench into my usual baking/eating habits of fall.  By now I would have consumed copious amounts of pumpkin-flavored baked goods including, but not limited to pumpkin muffins, pumpkin scones (okay, so I did paleo-ify these), pumpkin bread, pumpkin donuts, and so on. Because of my withdrawal from the pumpkin-grain combo, I decided to make my own version of the Pumpkin Spice Latte/ Pumpkin Chai cupcakes.

I do have to admit, they are not nearly as good as the real deal (which I made not too long ago, but did not consume), they were good enough to tide me over for a while before I decided to take another Paleo-free day (That is totally not encouraged by paleo people, but, hey, a girl has got to eat carbs sometimes :) Also, I think I didn't leave them in the oven long enough, but maybe it is just the nature of baking with almond flour.



Adapted from Elana's Pantry

Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
1 1/2 c blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c honey
1 c pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 packets of instant coffee
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger




Grain-free Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes
1 1/2 c blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c honey
1 c pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 tsp crushed loose-leaf masala chai (used a mortar and pestle)
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon


For each recipe, mix the wet ingredients together with the spices. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Pour into greased cupcake wrappers. Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes. (This time is not set in stone. If they aren't done by this time, put them back in).

Allow cupcakes to cool on a rack. Then using a paring knife, cut out a cone shape in the center of the cupcake to fill with spiced cream cheese mixture:

Spiced Cream Cheese:
8 oz cream cheese
2 Tbs powdered sugar
3 Tbs whole milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Top the cupcakes with the whipped cream frosting and a sprinkle of cinnamon or even a drizzle of caramel if you have it!

Whipped Cream Frosting:
2 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 c powdered sugar

Pumpkin Spice Latte



Pumpkin Chai

No comments:

Post a Comment