Thursday, December 15, 2011

Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes

Last week I enjoyed an afternoon shopping in Grand Rapids before my pre-interview dinner.  I love shopping... with my mom and sister.  Doing so alone isn't as fun.  Being tired of looking at cute clothes and shoes with no one to share it with, I stepped in to Barns and Nobel to peruse before heading back to the hotel.  And who can pass up a Starbucks while browsing the shelves?  Sadly, they were out of pumpkin spice, so I enjoyed my second favorite of the fall season, salted caramel mocha.  It worked out quite well because when Kristi sent me a salted caramel cupcake recipe I decided to create another Starbucks inspired cupcake flavor.
 Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes (adapted from 52 Kitchen Adventures)
Makes 24 cupcakes

Cake Batter
1 devil's food chocolate cake mix
Ingredients listed on box
3 single serve instant coffee packets

Caramel Filling
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream, warmed

Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
4 sticks butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar

Prepare the cake mix as directed, dissolving instant coffee in water.
Bake a few minutes less than box says.

Heat sugar over medium heat in sauce pan.
Swirl pan to stir while sugar boils.
When liquid is amber color add butter.
Whisk in cream.
Set aside to cool.

Heat sugar and water over medium heat in sauce pan.
Swirl pan to stir while sugar boils.
When liquid is amber color add vanilla.
Whisk in cream.
Set aside to cool.
Beat butter with salt until fluffy.
Add powdered sugar.
Once cool but still pourable, add caramel to frosting.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

To assemble, use paring knife to cut cone out of center of cupcake.
Spoon a teaspoon of caramel into hole.
Cut point of cone off and place the remaining back over caramel.
Using Wilton 1M tip, pipe frosting on cupcakes.
Drizzle cupcakes with extra caramel sauce if desired.




2 comments:

  1. Can you please come visit Charleston and feed me?? If it's around April I'll let you snuggle a newborn as much as you want ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be more than happy to trade cupcakes for cuddle time! Your photography skills could be put to use, too :-D

    ReplyDelete