Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Red Lentil Soup

K and I grew up in an ethnicly non-diverse area (which may even be an understatement).  The best thing about moving to Detroit for medical school was the vast number of ethic food choices, particularly Middle Eastern!  There was a great little Lebanese cafe down the street from my downtown apartment which I visited frequently, especially when Mom and Dad were visiting.  In addition to the best chicken schwarma and flafel burger I've had, they also had excellent red lentil soup.  Cincinnati has plenty of great Indian restaurants (for which I am super thankful), but I miss my pita and hummus!  To make this soup, we combined a few recipes this weekend to use up the ingredients we had around the house.

Red Lentil Soup
makes 4-6 servings

3 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound red lentils
olive oil (or bacon grease)
onion, diced
carrots and celery, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
juice of 1 large lime

Bring the chicken stock and lentils to boil in a medium sauce pan.
Once boiling, simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
While the lentils are simmering, saute the onion, carrots, and celery.
When soft, add the garlic and spices.  Cook for a few more minutes.
Stir the vegetables into the lentils along with the lime juice.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until mostly creamy.
Serve with more lime juice and fresh cilantro (if your sister will let you)!
Trust me, it tastes waaaay better than it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment