Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oysters in White Wine Cream Sauce


This dish is the result of another Kroger manager's special. While picking up a few groceries on Saturday afternoon I walked by the fresh fish counter and noticed fresh oysters on special. I couldn't pass those up, so I also added some heavy cream to my basket. I also looked over the fresh herbs, but I couldn't decide on what would go well with oysters, so I just decided to wing it once I got home.

Ingredients:
  • Fresh oysters
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • Sea salt
  • Basil
  • Parsley
  • Cream
  • Dry white wine like Pinot Grigio
Open the oysters and drain any liquid into a skillet. Wash the oysters under cool running water. Add the oysters to the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Season with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt. Add a good amount of white wine to the skillet, so there is about 1/4 inch of liquid. Add some dried basil and parsley, or use fresh if you have it. Simmer the oysters until the liquid is mostly gone, turning the oysters several times. Make sure the oysters are done - they should be tender all the way through. If they aren't done, add some water and continue to simmer. Once the oysters are cooked and the liquid is mostly gone, check the seasoning, then add some cream. Simmer the sauce a bit more until it is nicely thickened then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment