Monday, March 12, 2012

Strawberry Pineapple Crumble

I love Joy the Baker.  My amazing sister pre-ordered her recently published cookbook for me for my birthday last month.

It arrived on my doorstep the day it was published.  Amazon is a wonderful thing.

I've yet to bake anything out of it.  But, I have drooled over every photo.

I don't claim to have even half of Joy's kitchen genius, but I did tinker around with this recipe just the same.  Kristi has encouraged me to go as gluten-free as possible and eliminating the flour from this recipe seemed easy enough.  Flax seed, coconut, and pecans are added to the oatmeal crumble.  I had intended on a bit of cinnamon, but it slipped my mind before the pan slipped into the oven.  Sliced banana might also bump up the tropical flavor.
(Gluten Free) Strawberry Pineapple Crumble (adapted from JTB)
makes 6 servings

1 pound strawberries, sliced 
1 pound fresh pineapple, sliced 
pinch of salt 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats 
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flax seed
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix strawberries and pineapple in a small casserole dish (8x8).
In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients.
Spread oatmeal crumble evenly on the fruit.
Bake for 30-40 minutes.  Until the fruit is soft and bubbly.
Allow to sit for 15 minutes (if you have that much self control) before serving with ice cream.  I had Moose Tracks in the freezer.  Surprisingly, chocolate and peanut butter goes well with pineapple and strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment