Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pan Seared Trout with Oven Roasted Root Veggies

Sometimes I just get a foodie urge to cook something with great ingredients. Today was one of those days. I hit up the local Whole Foods and perused to see what was on sale and what just looked fantastic. I started in the produce section and filled my basket with wonderful organic veggies like carrots, turnip, purple sweet potato, and rutabaga. I moved on to the meat/fish counter and stood there for a while whilst being asked several times if I had been helped, but I needed time to 1. decide which protein to buy and 2. decide what to do with said protein. (Sometimes those two happen at the same time, sometimes #2 happens which then determines #1...) This time I decided on the trout that was on sale. The only bad thing? It still had its head!! Fortunately the lovely worker decapitated it for me, so I didn't have to do the dirty deed myself. 


Pan Seared Trout
1 whole de-boned, de-headed, de-scaled trout
salt
pepper
garlic powder
panko bread crumbs
Butter.

Generously season the fleshy side of the fish with the salt, pepper, and garlic. Add a light dusting of the bread crumbs (just so you end up with the lovely golden brown crust). Heat up a saute pan with a lump of butter. Gently place the fish in flesh side down in the hot pan. Listen to the wonderful sizzle as you create the crispy brown crust. Flip the fish over to finish cooking. (No idea how long it took, but the fish was really thin, so I would guess only about 5-6 minutes total).

Oven Roasted Root Veggies
1 parsnip (peeled)
4-5 small carrots
1 sweet potato
1 rutabaga (peeled)
1 small onion
Olive oil
Salt & pepper & garlic

Pre-heat oven to 350F (or hotter if you are in a hurry). Slice/dice the veggies into reasonable "bite size" pieces. Toss with olive oil. Spread out on baking sheets (I used two). Generously season with salt, pepper, garlic, or whatever spice you want. Bake for 20 mins. Stir the veggies. Bake for another 20-30 mins, depending on how big of pieces you used.



No comments:

Post a Comment